that's me...

that's me...
...just to give you a first impression of what I look like. I'll add some more pictures soon.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

School practice part 2

We spent our second week of practice in Hoptrup in the efterskole. We stayed there from Monday to Thursday all day and all night long. Doing so we got a great insight into the life in a boarding school - another experience I had never before...
Compared to the VUC this was more my idealized teaching atmosphere: the students had a similar level of knowledge and treated their teachers more like a friend than like an educator. I had a nice time sitting at the students' tables during the meals talking to them. The fact that the school has a profile focusing on theatre, dance and music manifested itself not only in the students' outgoing behaviour but also in the organisation of the lessons and free time activities. On the one hand this was great because it left much space for creativity and freedom. On the other hand the rather unorganised chemistry lessons for example made me a bit sad because they did not really arouse the students' curiosity and interest. In my personal opinion this was a pity.

I think Kate and I did a good job teaching our lessons together. I had never tried team teaching before but during the two weeks I really enjoyed sharing responsilbilities with another teacher. It was an important experience for me to have somebody supporting me or to support during the activities.
We did mostly creative activities during this week. For example we had a creative writing exercise with a 9th grade class or played "Activity" (miming, drawing, explaining) with a 10th grade class.

I definitely enjoyed the time in Hoptrup and I was quite sad when we had to leave on Thursday. I would consider these two week to be the weeks I learned the most during my stay in Denmark. Not really factual knowledge but many small things about my own teaching skills, other teaching methods, interpersonal relations, "living and learning together" ;-) and many more.

No comments: